I almost cried Sunday night, when I heard the cheers erupting from the House Democrats, signaling that Healthcare Reform had passed. While I know the fight is not over, even the initial passage of this bill has opened a door of precedent that will never close. That, however, is a completely different debate.
The passing of healthcare is only a symptom of a much greater problem. Government has completely lost touch with the people they are supposed to represent. President Obama has been reiterating over and over his desire for healthcare reform. The trick is, he has been using the argument that "Now, more than ever, the American people want healthcare reform."
You're kidding, right?
The American people have mobilized in surprising fashion against this travesty! Some have said the movements are unprecedented in recent history. Yet the Democrats keep touting the same line of thinking: "The American people are demanding reform."
On Sunday night, the news reporters were covering the House voting on the major healthcare bill in play-by-play fashion. Those on the station that I was listening to stated clearly that the House was the body of Congress elected directly by the people. Thus, they were more directly representing the will of the people.
You're kidding, right?
Anyone who has been listening to the news at all lately has been hearing only of backroom deals, arm-twisting, pathetic pleas from Obama, and the wieldy sword of Nancy Pelosi's drive. There has been very little "listening to the people," or town hall meetings, or responding to the melting phone lines. What gall! To say that this represents anything but the ambition of Obama and Pelosi is despicable arrogance!
Finally, what tipped me over the top today was this recent quote by Mark Hall, a professor of law and public health at Wake Forest University. "I am surprised by the mobilization of the states. It does strike me as a kind of civil disobedience, a declaration that we're not going to follow the law of the land."
You're kidding, right?
Has he forgotten the original Tea Party, or the Revolutionary War, or the reasons why people came to America in the first place? This is what Americans do! We protest, we write and call our Congressmen, we argue, we debate, and eventually, we vote out those who are not following the will of the people!!!
And we're not kidding about that!
Today, I helped my Mom take my Grandma to the doctor. They had on Fox News and it was conveniently during the time when the President was signing the bill. I was so infuriated listening to VP Biden speak and then the president. I got out of there as quickly as I could!
ReplyDeleteAnd our Congressman voted yes. How did your Congressman vote? Probably no, seeing it is Utah.
There's already a protest scheduled for tomorrow at Visclosky's office.
Grrrr...I'd better stop typing or I'll post all of my frustrations. I'll just end by saying that I am so glad that my hope is in God and not in a democratic form of government!!
You voiced my frustrations perfectly!! I may have to link up to you tomorrow because I am all poetry and fluff. I could use a little meat on my blog. :)
ReplyDelete