Pages

Monday, July 26, 2010

I Am A SURVIVOR

This phrase is often used by cancer patients and their families. Those who are "still standing" in the wake of a cancer battle are called...
SURVIVORS.
The other day, I was in the resale shop and I saw a bright pink shirt. Of course, it caught my eye, and I took a closer look. Upon examination, I saw that it was a "Susan G. Komen Walk for the Cure" souvenir t-shirt from one of their annual events. Written vertically down one side was the word...
SURVIVOR.
I did not cry in public, but I did have to catch myself. Most of my readers know that my mom lost her battle with cancer in March 2009. So of course, I identify with the cancer community. Also, I appreciate the work that they do in fighting cancer and helping those who are fighting it. But somehow, I just could not buy the shirt. For a few days, it puzzled me as to why I instinctively did not want to be labeled as a survivor. It was definitely not because I was ashamed to be identified with other "survivors." It just seems so bleak. The word just did not fit...
SURVIVOR.
Then, I recalled the verse we have been teaching the kids at church: Romans 8:37. Mentioning a few verses surrounding it will help to explain. Verse 28 says, "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose." Also, verses 35-39 say, "Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord."
I am not a
SURVIVOR.
I am a
CONQUEROR,
an OVERCOMER, and beyond, because of
JESUS CHRIST
and His love!
Because of Him, I can do more than just SURVIVE cancer.
Because of Him, I can CONQUER and OVERCOME cancer, loss, sadness, and pain.
Because of Him, I can learn and grow in the wake of cancer.
Because of Him, I can be a trophy of His grace, instead of just a
.
To Him be the glory and honor and praise forever...Amen!

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Praise God for his all-sufficient grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this post. I have a question for you, Sharon. Could you email me? jvoegtlin@fairhavenbaptist.org Thanks,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reminds me of the song we used to sing in Teens: We are MORE than Conquerors... Great post; wonderful reminder of God's goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing that when truth hits you like that, such peace and confidence from the Lord always follows. The Holy Spirit allows that grief in just seeing a t-shirt to showing you a truth that will comfort you long after you forget the t-shirt!
    Wonderful post Sharon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And even "MORE THAN conquerors"...I don't know if I ever really stopped to think about that. It doesn't just say we are "conquerors", but "MORE THAN conquerors"! God's power is that great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, Sharon! We just taught that same passage (Rom. 8:35-39) to the kids in my Junior Church class. We are "more than conquerors through Him that loved us" and we can know that nothing "can separate us from the love of God" except ourselves and that's the sad part. God is so good, isn't He!

    ReplyDelete
  7. AMEN! That is exactly right! Through Christ we are Conquerers

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment