Pages

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Kayaking & Cliff-Diving

(Causey Reservoir Overlook)

As a last-ditch effort to soak up as much “summer” as possible before being confined to a 20’x20’ classroom, four of us took an afternoon to explore Causey Reservoir. I had heard about it, but like Solomon’s wisdom to the Queen of Sheba, hear-say had not told the ½!

This place was tucked up in the mountains behind our house. We drove up the canyon, turned right at the old run-down barn “where we got lost that one time” [Whoops! I think we passed it! Let’s turn the truck & trailer around on a 2-lane highway!], followed another pick-up truck to the dam, and squeezed in behind the line of cars parallel-parked on the side of a one-lane dirt road. Yeah! It’s that kind of place.

We were SO lucky to have been able to borrow 2 kayaks and a canoe from some friends. [These friends promised that I’d be wanting kayaks of my own by the end of the day. Boy were they right!] This made for a red neck-like caravan on the way up, but we fit in with most of the crowd by the time we reached the reservoir.

Once on the water, I discovered the incredible adventure of kayaking – first time. It is truly a delight to kayak…on a “lake”…with amazing beauty all around. (I was used to canoeing on the Mississippi River.) What a welcome change!

On the way back to the “beach,” Charity & I determined to TRY “cliff-diving”…from 30 feet above the water.

(The cliff we jumped from)

The last time I did this was at Potato Creek on family vacation…@ least 12 years ago!!! Apparently there’s a trick to landing properly once you hit the water! Otherwise, you only smack (very hard & very loud) on your back. It leaves BIG bruises and tender spots that can last for over a month! [Don’t ask how I know these details.]

Nothing, however, could dampen the thrill of discovering this place. What a gorgeous place! We’ll definitely be back!

[This message was brought to you by Utahtourism.org -- Not really, but it could nave been. ;-)]

2 comments:

  1. Potato Creek or Turkey Run? We used to do this from under the covered bridge at Turkey Run, remember! I too got to kayak for the first time this summer by myself. It was better than being in a canoe with two or three teenagers. It was only on the St. Joseph River in the South Bend area, but it was a blast. Will come do it sometime there in the future when we can take some vacation.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment