Pages

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Grotto Falls - Payson Canyon, UT

Monday, Presidents' Day, is one of those days for teachers to leave the classroom, go find an adventure, and blow out all of the cobwebs.  


After seeing a 3D picture of Grotto Falls by Martin van Hemert, I just HAD to get to this place!


(#MtTimpanogos from 1/2-way up #PaysonCanyon - Gorgeous & majestic, less the #Inversion.)


It is about an hour and a half south of Ogden down I-15 along the Wasatch Front.  
[Thank goodness for cars, highways, and the presidents!]


From internet research, I was expecting a drive up to the trail, 
a short walk along the paved trail, 
and some ice.  
Probably the waterfall would still be frozen over.  

What I got was all of that........to the 4th power.


The canyon road was only plowed to within 2 miles of the trail entrance.  
[Think 2 mile hike uphill.  
Thankfully the road was much-traveled by 
cross-country skiers, snowshoers, snow machines, etc.]

It seemed that a snow-blower had made one pass along the "Grotto Falls" Trail 
about 8 inches of snow before.  So, at least the path was somewhat there.  

After hiking for 45 minutes, 
I nearly turned back before seeing the sign for the trail.  
Whew!  

Quite a few slips, falls, ugh's, and whoa's later, 
I finally came to the place I had been looking for!  
Right between the trees........
.....although you might not see it in all of that snow.


Cross the bridge, then the other bridge...
(I named this one the Thomas Jackson Natural Bridge.)


Wow!


Disclaimer:  I am nothing like a good photographer.
Disclaimer:  My camera is of the less-than-$100 variety.


But, here it is...My adventure of a Presidents' Day!









I am standing on over a foot of 
frozen water....ice, right?  
Clear, mountain spring water 
that you can see right through, 
even when frozen.  
(Excluding snow cover, of course.)  



I know, #Marmie, "ice"..."frozen"..."snow"... 
...they cause you to cringe.  
But not to worry, the water is running again...
...very first signs of spring to come!  
[Even in a still moment with a listening ear @ the 
"frozen" water falls, 
you can hear the rumble of water, 
slowly moving from within the earth 
& below the ice to begin its journey 
down the mountain....
......to be sprayed on our tomatoes 
in a few months, no doubt.  ;-)]


Waterfalls everywhere...of all sizes.  
Spring is on its way!!!  Whoo-hoo!

(Timpanogos from the road down the canyon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a Comment