Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Look Back: Part Two – Grace & Strength “Unto the Battle”

For my Thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways, my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Father's Train Ticket

Another anecdote related by Corrie ten Boom was of her first experience with death. As a child, she had only heard of death when her overly dramatic Tante (Aunt) Jans mentioned it. For over forty years, Tante Jans just knew that today would or could be the day of her death!

On one such day, while visiting the poor with her mother, Corrie saw a baby who had died from some illness. She could not get the thought of death out of her mind.

Later that night, Corrie told her father all about the frightening experience. Her wise and kind father sat down on the bed to comfort her. “’Corrie,’ he began gently, ‘when you and I go to Amsterdam—when do I give you your ticket?’

‘Why, just before we get on the train.’

‘Exactly. And our wise Father in heaven knows when we’re going to need things, too. Don’t run out ahead of Him, Corrie. When the time comes that some of us will have to die, you will look into your heart and find the strength you need—just in time.’”

Tante Jans

This thought stuck with Corrie for many years. She found her father’s knowledge of their Heavenly Father’s wisdom and sufficiency to be true again and again. On one occasion, an example came from her Tante Jans.

When diabetes began to take its toll on Tante Jans, the doctors could not help her. She could only wait to die. Her reaction to this news was very moving.

The whole family trudged upstairs to Jans’ room to tell her. Father began to speak the necessary words: “My dear sister-in-law, there is a joyous journey which each of God’s children sooner or later sets out on. And Jans, some must go to their Father empty-handed, but you will run to him with hands full!”

The family proceeded to remind Jans of her written tracts, the money she had raised for the Lord’s work, her clubs, her talks, and so on. Yet, all of this was to no avail. All that Tante Jans could do was cover her eyes and cry, “Empty, empty! How can we bring anything to God? What does He care for our little tricks and trinkets?”

The grief was almost too much for the family to bear—until Tante Jans lowered her hands and looked up. With tears still streaming down her face, she whispered, “Dear Jesus, I thank You that we must come with empty hands. I thank You that You have done all—all—on the Cross, and that all we need in life or death is to be sure of this.”

Mother and the rest of the family rejoiced and hugged Tante Jans. All Corrie could do was stare in amazement. She had seen a mystery. This was Father’s train ticket, “given at the moment itself.”

Grace & Strength

I feel foolish trying to add to this. The analogy is so clear. We must not get ahead of our Heavenly Father. He will provide what we need, when we need it.

This year has been a season of testing this promise. Of course, every time, God has been faithful to prove Himself more than enough! It has always been in His time, though. There have been times when I wished for comfort and healing to come more quickly, but I needed to see His strength made perfect in my weakness first. I have wished for joy in the night, but it did not come until the morning. I could not always see His way, but He had traced my path before I walked there. He has lead me all the way, and I offer my praise to Him!

"His hand will not lead me where His grace will not keep me."

3 comments:

  1. This is REALLY, REALLY good, Sharon.

    Over Thanksgiving, my family and I watched "The Hiding Place" for the first time. It was the most moving movie I have ever seen! I was very challenged by Corrie ten Boom's life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok. Sharon. You know when you read some blogs and you find yourself deep into them and it almost feels like you are inside their heart? You did it...thank you for sharing. It caused me to pause. I praise God that His thoughts are so much higher than mine.

    I interpreted this play in sign language several years ago. I can still vividly remember signing "empty-empty"...which is generally just a generic sign. I changed it to signing empty across open palms reaching up to God to show empty hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing from one of my favorite books... I'm sure I've read it 100 times and I always get new wisdom from her testimony!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment