Pages

Friday, April 1, 2011

Opening Day!!!

This is the year. I can tell. The Cubs are gonna win it all!

As a Cubs fan, I have to say that at the beginning of every year, and I have to believe it. That’s what we Cubs fans do.

There is no logical reason to being a Cubs fan, so please do not try to apply reason to the matter.

And, as a Cubs fan, I have to be a die-hard. There is no other kind. We do not have championships or great years to look to. We just love the Cubs, and we love cheering for them!

I started cheering for the Cubs by listening to the “Pat & Ron Show” on WGN Radio. It made the games truly enjoyable. For three hours in the afternoon, I was fully entertained with baseball trivia, personal banter, and the emotional roller-coaster of a dyed-in-the-wool Cubs fan, Ron Santo.

This came in very handy during long, hot days mowing grass, or pulling weeds at the Motleys (for those in the know there). Time went by much faster on summer evenings…cleaning by myself, or working in the garden, as long as “the game” was on. Baseball was always there for me.

Of course, it rarely lasted into September, but that is a discussion for another day.

The truth is, I love the pace and rhythm of baseball.

It is so fun watching the game, cheering for an occasional good play, eating good food, chit-chatting with family and friends, holding out the white “W” towels, and enjoying a beautiful summer evening.

So, today is the first day, the first game, and the beginning of something beautiful. Spring is here & summer is coming! It’s baseball time!!!

Baseball time is here again

You can catch it all on WGN

So stamp your feet and clap your hands

Chicago Cubs got the greatest fans.

You’re singing now …

Go, Cubs, go

Go, Cubs, go

Hey, Chicago, what do you say

The Cubs are gonna win today

2 comments:

  1. I used to be a Cubs fan--really I did--I was a die hard--right up until I moved to Michigan--and slowly my heart moved--sorry--GO TIGERS! They are in different leagues-so-I do feel like I can root for the Cubbies when they play:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the post, Sharon! I didn't know the Motley's but I could relate to the mowing the grass part. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment