This year has been one of hospitality in my home. It is such
a pleasure to share dinner with guests, friends, and "family."
It would be really great to share with "real family," whenever
any of them decide to trek out to the Wild, Wild West. [hint, hint-Yes, shameless attempt at manipulation.]
Opening my home to others has offered
me the opportunity to develop practices of hospitality and "think of
others" in a whole new light. There are so many subtle, and
not-so-subtle nuances of hosting casual meals, game nights, babysitting, and
even a "formal" dinner party. Pardon me as I sift through some
of these here.
The night before my first 15-guest dinner party,while scrubbing away at the walls and floors, chopping &
measuring the food, it struck me that these things really are a labor of
love...for friends and family, and for the Lord. [In following His command
to practice hospitality, there is an element of Christ-like self-sacrifice very
evident to any hostess. I Peter 4:9]
And what is the point of "having
people over for dinner?" Is it to show off cooking skills or the
house? Naw, those play a part. It really is ALL about the guests, though:
giving them good food, a good time, and joy as they leave.
As with many of the design features God
has created us with, sacrificing in this way for others blesses the giver,
maybe more than the recipients. Surely, this has been my experience.
During & after my first 15-guest dinner party, I was overwhelmed with such joy and appreciation that so many of
my friends would gather here in my home, to share in my food, & enjoy this
very same time all together. How many people have been so blessed to
gather 15 good friends around the table for no occasion but the Lord's Day
& the joy of friendship with each other?
All of that said, some of my frequent
guests & I have an on-going, good-natured debate to settle. Please
include your answer, explanations, and any other thoughts in the comments
section below.
"Do you allow guests in your
home to do
the dishes after dinner?"
A.) Standard, after 3 visits to your
home
B.) Yes, if they volunteer
C.) Only after they've become
"family"
D.) Never
E.) Other [Please explain.]
Personally, I don't care for others to
do my dishes.
Partly because living by myself has allowed me to indulge in some
OCD tendencies in the kitchen, among other places. (We all have some OCD's,
right?) I like to know where things are, care for particular pieces in
particular ways (wooden spoons & cutting boards, cast-iron pans, etc.), and it is always awkward
when someone else breaks a dish. They feel badly. You try &
make them feel better, even if that was your mama's favorite mug. And so on...
Now, when we visited at other people's homes, Mom would always say, "Girls, go help with the dishes." [........] Andrea knows what that was...a grunt/sigh from us girls. [Oh ya, we were not born with any natural character, that's for sure.] However, Gramma Leslie
says, "I always tell guests: You don't even have to wash the dishes
after dinner here! Sit there, enjoy the meal & good conversation
afterwards. Later on, when everyone's gone, I'll wash the dishes and
reminisce over the good times and laughter we had. It will be my pleasure!"
I believe I'll adopt the Leslie family
practice on this one! And...I think Mom would approve...maybe even be shocked that I am OFFERING to do the dishes (instead of offering them to someone else to do).

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave a Comment