Since I've been truly immersed in teaching for the last couple of months, I have become so very thankful for each of my teachers. As that appreciation grows, I begin to wonder, 'What is it that elevates a teacher from "okay" to "amazing" status? Why are some hard to remember, and others seem to have a tremendous bearing on the direction of my life?'
So, I have done a mental case-study of the teachers who stand out to me, and here is what I have come up with.
[Disclaimer: To be fair, I do not remember much about teaching style, etc. before 5th grade, or so. I know that I had some great teachers from Kindergarten to 4th grade. There was Mrs. Gordon in K-3, 4. She is still a good friend. We were Mrs. Brater's first K-5 class. I remember learning how to cut with scissors in that class, but that is about it. However, I do have a very good foundation in phonics. This I definitely attribute to her, as well as many other things. I remember Mrs. Hady vaguely. We enjoyed the class, and learned a lot, that I know.]
When it comes to personal recollection, though, my best (and favorite) elementary teacher would have to be Mrs. Gonzalez. Any other students of hers are joining in a hearty "YES!" at this point, I'm sure! I remember my two years in her class, 5th & 6th grades, as a major turning point in my life. That was a time when I really awoke to an awareness of what was going on around me and my relevance to those things.
In comedy, I remember the red sweater/green headband days. Her "explosions" were so expected, dreaded, anticipated, and helpful. I remember being the "Burger King Class" in 5th grade. Why? It was because we followed their motif: "Have it Your Way!" And Mrs. Gonzalez would say, "No! You can't always "have it your way!" That was when we learned that the world was not revolving around us. I also remember the lectures on common sense. Mrs. Gonzalez would say, "The Bible says to ask for wisdom. Do you know what wisdom is? It's common sense! Ask for it!" Wow! Such a practical application of a whole book of the Bible.
She also taught us how to treat adults, and how to treat the one in our class who struggled. She showed us how to describe something around us, and how to control our bad attitudes. She had great PTF programs, too...Hugh Idle & Mr. Toil, Peter Rabbit, the Olympics ("It's been tremendous, I mean stupendous...I hate to see it end."), and more.
Then, there were the things that she could have never taught us with words, only by example: the patience (oh, such patience!), the love for the Lord and His work, the smile of approval and encouragement. There was the extra effort she put into visuals, Candy Sale boards, and contests. Along with that, there was the extra effort she required of us and the rewards for such excellence. I remember the 'Award Certificates' that meant so much. Most of all, there was the genuine interest in what we had to say, what we were excited about, and what was going on in our lives.
To crystallize so many thoughts and memories into workable principles is hard. Naturally, the key element would be her love for the Lord, His work, and His people. Yet, I would have to say that her interest in our lives as people was the practical application of that truth. We were not just students taking subjects in school. We were children to be molded into servants of Christ.
While many of her students have taken separate paths, most will always carry the impressions made by our 5th-6th grade teacher. What a challenge for the next generation of teachers, including myself! When it is more necessary than ever, may we make the same lasting impression on our students.
I couldn't agree with you more! Mrs. Gonzalez was a great teacher and a definite favorite of mine too.
ReplyDeleteI agree!! She was a favorite of mine too!!! Tabitha:)
ReplyDeleteVery comical! I couldn't help wondering what my few students over the years might have said about those "red sweater/green headband days" for me! Maybe they would say, Oh no, it is a "red shirt/black skirt day", or a "wet hair day" or a "hair-up day"!
ReplyDelete