Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Hayrides and Campfires!

Bales of hay, hot dogs, marshmallows, and campfires…life is good! After special meetings on Sunday through Thursday of this last week, our church capped off the time with an all-church activity. It was billed as a hayride, but I think I need to explain for the Midwesterners.

What we do not have are tractors, hay wagons, harvested fields of cut wheat, and hundreds of bales of hay. So, as all good Westerners do, we adapted. We had a Ford F-350 (a BIG truck) haul around a trailer loaded with several bales of hay. We took turns riding in the trailer and the truck took us off-roading up in the mountains of Cache Valley.

Yes, it got a bit rough. I learned never to start a hay-throwing fight with kids.

I think I looked like a scarecrow for the rest of the night. ;-)

...So did the person next to me. ;-)

When we were not “hay-riding,”

we cooked hot dogs (the good kind) over a fire,

ate LOTS of food,

and roasted marshmallows and made s’mores.

The best part, though, was just sitting around the fire listening to people talk about the weather,

the moose that we just saw (yes, there were two “meese” right near our campfire),

where Proverbs 31 talks about ‘coupon-cutting’,

“Injun Joe,” and their kids.

What a blessing to have good, Christian friends and a good church!

4 comments:

  1. I love hayrides and bonfires! Looks like you had a great time; Utah sure is a beautiful state!

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) haha I love your version of the hayride! We really don't have tractors, hay etc out here do we?! :) A couple of weeks ago, in history I was teaching my kids about farming..and one of the assignments was to determine if we lived in a farming community! haha...One of my boys raises his hand and says..."I don't think there are farms anywhere in the world anymore..those were in the "old" days!" I was laughing so hard...these California kids..they are really missing out!! :) I told the boy, "Trust me there are farms..." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon, the picture of the lady sitting next to you made me laugh out loud. She looks so prim and proper, and then she's covered with hay. Still makes me crack up. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, this looks like so much fun! Thanks for your comment on my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a Comment